Project Management - RSS Feeds

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Let the SME do what you are paying him to do

Tomorrow, I'll be heading to a client site to deliver IT Project Management training. This will be conducted over 3 days at their facility and I'm really dreading it. Why? Because it's not the training that I believe in. What I mean by that is that the client dictated what topics to cover and what not to cover.

I understand that the client pays and we do what they want. However, when you ask for a subject matter expert (SME) to come in to do what they do best and then handcuff them, what do you think the result will be? Probably not good, right? And if the end result is terrible, who does it reflect on? You get my point.

To make it worse, the guy who asked for this training for his team attended a speaking engagement that I was at last year. Trying hard not to be immodest but most people who meet me learn to trust me. They take my words to heart because every word that comes out of my mouth has truth behind it and is filled with my passion. Yet from time to time, I meet people who are as green as a Pebble Beach fairway in August who think they know more than someone who does this every day.

So you must be curious at this point, what are they asking me to do? I'll just give you a single example and you'll see the picture. The request is to not discuss network diagramming but spend as much time as possible in MS Project. For those of you who still do not fully understand, it's the equivalent of teaching a first grader how to use a calculator before they know why they have to add in the first place. It'll be easy to teach them how to push the buttons but will they really understand why they need it?

No comments: