Project Management - RSS Feeds

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Speaker in the House

I just got back from the Baltimore area where I was the keynote speaker at a PMO forum. At this forum, there were several speakers but I was last to present. I was there representing Microsoft and the topic was Microsoft Enterprise Project Management -- How It Can Help You Manage Expectations.

Anyway, as each speaker presented his or her topic, I quickly realized how nearly all of them were inexperienced at it. Some where clearly better than others but certainly there weren't any superstars. As I waited for my turn, I knew that I would just do my "thing" and get the audience pumped up about the topic.

When I was done, I had a nice applause and a real sense that the audience really enjoyed my presentation. People came up to me afterwards and asked for me to personally train them in either the tools or to become a PMP.

So what did I do differently from everyone else? Here's a quick list:
  • I opened with a hook: Ask a question to get the audience involved early. For instance, "So how many of you really like project management? C'mon, tell the truth and don't be shy, we're all nerds in here."
  • I kept my points high-level: There's no need to "teach" anyone anything at an event. Just keep your slides light and tell your story.
  • I used other presenters' names in my stories: This makes it appear as though everyone is in agreement of my presentation.
  • I walked around: Don't stay behind a podium! Move about and simply talk.
  • I didn't bring notes: If you know your topic (and want to look like you do), know your topics and simply talk.
  • I smiled: Do you know how many speakers don't smile? That's right, nearly all of them!
  • I kept it funny: If you're not naturally funny, be prepared to write something up prior. People will remember the funniest presentation and if you can't get through to them, they will tune you out, even if you have the meaning of life.

No comments: